Indoor Track Season

The McNeil indoor track season has started and there is history being made. The track team has only had one track meet so far and it has been at LSU. The Mavericks statistically have some of the fastest runners in our district like Sean Jahedi, Fernando Gonzales and Ian Rowan.

Sean Jahedi is a medaled athlete at the Junior Olympics and 2x track and field All American, he runs the 60m, 100m and 200m. Jahedi has excelled in the sport of track and field as he has been on varsity every year. When Jahedi went to the LSU meet he only ran the 60m dash and he timed in at 7.02 which placed him top ten fastest 60m sprinters in the state of Texas and top 50 in the entire United States. In this upcoming season, Jahedi plans on beating his 100m dash which is 10.63 seconds and is already a top 20 fastest 100m times in Texas.

Fernando Gonzales is a 4x AAU regional qualifier and 1x Junior Olympian. Gonzales has excelled in the sport of track and field as he was on varsity while being a freshman for the 400m, 4×4 and 4×1.

“Leading up to the meet I did 400m repeats,” Gonzales said. “Speed training while doing endurance training.” The meet consisted of 110 schools all around the USA and Gonzales finished the 400m race and finished fourth in his heat.

Ian Rowan is an 8x Junior Olympian and a 1x All American. Rowan ran the 800m at the Junior Olympics and placed top 25 when he was only 10 years old and then four years later Rowan got even better as he finished fifth in the 4×8 at the Junior Olympics. But going into the LSU meet Rowan only trained for the previous month and he timed in at 2:05 for the 800m, while Rowan didn’t place, Rowan said “I didn’t place but I wasn’t worried about that. I feel pretty good because it shows that I only have minor things to work on now, like my finish.”